Our 2008 blog post about the fortress can be seen at:
Luckily, a lot of documents about the fortress and its inhabitants have survived.
This 1980s painting by Canadian artist Lewis Parker depicts a busy day in the Louisbourg harbor in August 1744. The ships depicted were all known to be in the harbor at that time.
The Desroches Tavern just outside the fortress walls
Dried cod was a major commercial enterprise for the area.
An early lobster trap
In this era, lobster was considered trash food only good for poor people and prisoners.
Entering the fortress via the Dauphin Gate
The Frédéric Gate near the harbor was the primary gate used by most people.
Scenes around the town
The kitchen in the residence of the Chief Engineer
A spit jack
(a weight driven mechanism for slowly turning a rotisserie spit)
The armory blacksmith shop
There were several nicely tended gardens.
They also sold traditionally made and baked bread loaves.
A few cannon and cannonballs
This large tripod with a windlass was probably used to hoist the cannon on/off their carriages.